If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Minnesota.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Letters...Seeking Preppers

From: srvhim4life@msn.com
To: MinnesotaPrepper@aol.com
Sent: 8/18/2009 1:29:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: interested in meeting other twincities preppers


Hello, after reading "Just In Case" we started prepping for emergency situations about 4 months ago. The author of "Just In Case" suggested we join our state "preppers" so we can grow in knowledge and substance. We would love to know if there are any preppers in the st paul area and how we can get in contact with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you, Ed and Kim

***************************************************************************

From: kurnet1@msn.com
To: minnesotaprepper@aol.com
Sent: 6/8/2009 12:18:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Inquiry


Hi - the wife and I have been growing increasingly concerned about the state of the country and have begun putting together bug-out kits and have started storing some water, food, short term survival equipment, firearms etc. We have enough supplies for a short duration but if things really blow up we'd like to be better prepared. Can you tell me a little more about your organization? It would be nice to network with like-minded folks and brainstorm about being better prepared.

Thanks, Kurt

*********************************************************************************


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Teawhisk@msn.com
To: MinnesotaPrepper@aol.com
Sent: 7/15/2009 12:44:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Gardens & Mr Nagant


Good Morning!
A little input from a long time survival gardener. Thought over 50 years experience could help. I grew up the eldest of 12 children & never ate a vegetable that we did not grow & preserve until I went off to college. Mom put up close to 3,500 jars a year.
Kale &/or other Cole crops often are attacked by the little green cabbage worms. A good thing to deal with them is to use un-slaked lime dusted on them after a rain or watering. The lime is none lethal & washes off easily. A 25 lb bag is pretty cheap & with an inexpensive duster can save a crop. It's a sure part of my long term plans as I've seen what these little devils can do to a garden patch. The butterfly stage is the small white moth that you see flitting about your Cole crops (cabbages, broccoli ect.)

If you're not squeamish, a little used kitty litter sprinkled on the garden edges helps ward off bunnies & squirels. They don't like the predator scent. I personally used the air rifle or my long bow. I took the precaution of clearing this with my neighbors who whole heartedly encouraged me. Bunnies have been eating everything in my neighborhood except for the thugs. I wonder if I could encourage them in the thug-o-phage direction?

Just on the east end of Barron Wisconsin is a sign pointing north to a Mennonite store that sells bulk foods. I buy 50lb sacks of hard red winter wheat there for pretty cheap. They also have an incredible supply of bulk food stuffs including some magnificent cheese!!! It's worth the trip. We pack a lunch and visit friends in Cameron. The stop is interesting as they also sell crafts. They're very nice folks too which is a welcome bonus. Nothing beats a loaf of sourdough made with fresh ground wheat. The smell seems to bring visitors though one or more of my brothers seems to show up after we pull a loaf from the oven.

Fleet Farm has a supply of Swedish Military surplus laundry bags with brass grommets for a closure cord. They're heavy duty OD canvas & cost the princely sum of $2.99. I use them for clothing for our Bug Out Kits (GOOD Get out of Dodge) & for a rope bag. Paracord & a couple of hanks of 3/8" & 1/2" rope is an always useful idea & the bags keep them organized & available. Throw in a couple of 'biners & a figure 8 descended & you're good to go.

Mr. Nagant can be a good rifle as it is easily maintainable in the field. Check to make sure that the barrel is not blown out and put together a cleaning & maintenance kit. You can find parts on line & don't need a lot other than a couple of bits & cleaning supplies. I usually suggest a 12 ga for most folks as they are easier to get, relatively cheap & easy to maintain and the shells are easy to come by & are available in loads that range from defense (00 Buck Shot & Slugs) to light hunting loads (low base 8 shot). The Mossberg 500 series is a good bet. Get the synthetic stock & a sling as well with a field cleaning kit & you are loaded for anything short of a T Rex. That being said, the Nagant is a good choice though ammunition may be difficult to come by in the long run & it takes a lot of regular long term practice (which can be fun in itself) to get & stay competent with it. I'd love to have one as a back up on the farm & probably will grab one asap.

My wife & I have just bought 8 acres with a 100 year old farm house about 45 miles south of St Paul. For years I've prepared for survival evasion & escape from an urban environment. Now we have a place to go & a place to stand.

I'm a new reader who only just discovered this blog ....I'm enthused! I've been around a long time & there's a lot of stuff I know & can do. My nature is to share as I'm by inclination a teacher. I taught martial arts for over 30 years. I'd be happy to contribute as I am able though I'm kind of a "word duffer" I'll do my best if you would like.

Regards, Teawhisk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and pertaining to topic, please. Thank you.

Minnesota Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Minnesota Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.