If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.

Join our forum at:

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Simple Food Storage Items - Powdered Milk

Re-post courtesy of Riverwalker's Stealth Survival

Milk is a combination consisting of fats, proteins, minerals, vitamins, enzymes, carbohydrates and water. Milk is a highly nutritious food. It is also used as an ingredient in many recipes. Milk is often difficult to transport or store in its liquid form due to the weight and its highly perishable nature. Storing powdered milk is a better option.

Powdered milk contributes nutritionally and economically to a wide variety of food recipes including baked goods, reconstituted milk, nutritional beverages such as cocoa and other prepared foods.

Powdered milk products have an extended shelf life. By removing the majority of the water, liquid milk is transformed into a shelf stable dry powder with a shelf life of 12 to 18 months. The maximum shelf life of liquid milk is only about 18 days when kept refrigerated.

Approximately 10% of the world's powdered milk is manufactured in the United States.
This makes the United States one of the largest powdered milk producers in the world.

Approximately 60% of the powdered milk produced in the United States is actually used within the United States. Many food manufacturers depend on powdered milk when formulating their food products. The other 40% is exported to other countries.

Advantages of Powdered Milk

1.) Powdered milk requires significantly less storage space than liquid milk.

2.) It does not require refrigeration.

3.) It retains a high level quality during its 12- to 18-month shelf life

4.) Its cost is very economical.

5.) It can be used in an emergency or crisis situation when fresh milk may be unavailable.

6.) It is easily used as an ingredient in a wide variety of foods and beverages.

Powdered milk can also be stored in your freezer. This will extend its shelf life for an even longer period of time.

Staying above the water line!



  1. Riverwalker:
    If the powdered milk is stored using a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver, etc.), will this extend the shelf-life even longer? I think this would keep the humidity out,which should help. It should also keep the oxygen out, so it would theoretically not degrade as fast.
    Anybody try it?

  2. Vacuum sealing will probably give you several additional months of shelf life, if not more. The three main factors affecting most food storage items is oxygen, temperature and humidity. Any form of additional control imposed to help reduce the effects of these three items should add to the shelf life.



Keep it clean and pertaining to topic, please. Thank you.

Minnesota Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Minnesota Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.